Sunday, March 6, 2011

Jennie's Famous Salsa

My mom has been making her own salsa for years.  I used to love making salsa with her.  I've since adapted my own recipe just slightly from hers. (I like to use the prepared garlic that comes in a jar.  It's easier to keep it on hand that way.  My mom likes to use garlic salt ) This salsa tastes so fresh and delicious!  The key that I have found to making salsa is to let your eyes do the work.  There is a lot of beautiful color in this salsa. If it looks too red because there is too much tomato, add some more green or vica versa.  And if there isn't enough white, then add some more onion.  Really I have found that when my salsa looks the prettiest, it tastes the best.  Don't be afraid to taste as you go and add a little more of this or that as needed.  Just remember that as the flavors sit, they will combine and get a little stronger over night. 

If you like it with a little more kick, then add a jalapeno to it  A lot of kick... add the seeds. Most of the heat is in the seeds.  I like it very mild so I don't lose the wonderful flavor.  I don't add the seeds at all from my anaheim pepper.  Anaheims are very mild but have great flavor. It really makes the salsa what it is. Also, if you like thick salsa, drain the juice, if not, you can just dump the can right into the bowl. If you like it more pureed, you can combine all ingredients in a blender and blend it. 

Jennie's Famous Salsa

2 (28 oz) cans of petite diced tomatoes
1/2 medium yellow onion chopped
1 bunch of green onions chopped
1 bunch of cillantro chopped
1 large anaheim pepper chopped
1-2 cloves garlic chopped (I use the prepared garlic in a jar)
salt to taste

Combine all ingredients into a bowl. Serve immediatly or chilled. Store leftovers in the fridge.

Tip: I have found that when blending the salsa, it is best to keep the vegitables and the tomatoes separate. When I blend them together, the green seems to take over. I add a little bit of the tomatoes to the veggies to give it some liquid. But the rest, puree separatly.


No comments: