Friday, July 15, 2011

Delicious Chocolate Chip Cookies

Funny Story, no lie...  My girlfriend Stephanie calls me up and says, " Hey what ya doing right now."  I said, "I'm making cookies, do you guys want to come over and make some with me."  She says, "Really? I was calling you to see if you wanted to come over cause I'm making cookies."  Then she says " what are you making them for?" I say, "for the Relief Society Meeting tonight, I didn't sign up but figured I'd take some anyway." She says "ME TOO!  What kind are you making?"  Me- "Chocolate chip!" Her- "No way" Lots of laughter.  I mean really what are the odds! So then she says "have you started yet, I just softened the butter."  I said,."yeah, I am softening the butter right now."  Hilarious!!!   So she dropped by a plate for me on her way out, and I traded her with a plate of mine. Also, to top off the randomness... my daughter was playing at a friends house, and the friends mom brought her back with a plate of chocolate chip cookies for us! I had planned on making up a plate for them, but my batch was not quite done yet. Ahh I haven't had chocolate chip cookies in months. So weird that the three of us were making them all at the same time.

I wish I could take the credit for this recipe.  These cookies are SO yummy!  All the credit goes to my Aunt.  This is her recipe.  These cookies are rockin!  I've got a list of tips below to help out in the process of constructing the perfect chocolate chip cookie.

Chocolate Chip Cookies

¾ C. sugar
¾ C. packed brown sugar
1 C. butter
1 tsp. vanilla
1 lg. egg
2 ¼ C. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
½ tsp salt
1 C. coarsely chopped nuts (optional)
1 C. semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Beat, with electric mixer, sugars and butter. Add vanilla and egg. Beat well. Stir in flour, baking soda and salt. (dough will be stiff). Stir in nuts and chocolate chips. Drop by rounded tablespoons about 2 inches apart on baking sheet. Bake for 8-10 minutes. Do not over bake. 1-2 minutes and remove from baking sheet onto wire cooling rack.

Freezing Tip: If you would like to double the batch and freeze the dough, you can do so.  I drop them onto a greased cookie sheet, the same as above, except I put them really close together.  Put the pan into the freezer.  When cookies are frozen.  Then take them off and place them into a zip lock bag and freeze.  Then take out as many as you need and thaw them. Then bake as instructed above.

Baking Tips: Use real butter

It's better to under cook the cookies and let them sit on the baking sheet for a couple of minutes out of the oven to finish hardening.

Chocolate chip cookies should be slightly rounded. If not, read below...

Chocolate chip cookies are flat and spread.  Causes: Butter was too soft or partially melted. Under-measurement of flour, dough placed on a hot or warm cookie sheet.

Chocolate chip cookies don't change shape and are hard:  Causes: Over-measurement of flour.

No comments: