Saturday, October 8, 2011

Scrambled Eggs for the Masses

I grew up in a family with 9 kids.  I don't know how my mom cooked scrambled eggs for 11 people but it couldn't have been easy.  After needing to scramble 26 dozen eggs to do my first burrito class, and only being able to fit about 2 dozen eggs in my pan at a time... I decided it was time for a change. 

I got online and tried to look for answers.  Then I found out that you can bake them.  Makes sense, you can bake them in casseroles etc, so why not.  I gave it a whirl, and voila!  It worked! I only had to make 3 batches total instead of 12-15 batches.  If you have a load of people to feed, or you are making a few hundred breakfast burritos... (I'll share my recipe with ya on Monday)  Then this is the way to go!


Scrambled Eggs for the Masses

Eggs
Milk (if desired)
salt
pepper
large baking dish

Scramble the desired amount of eggs in a large bowl and stir in a splash of milk.  The more eggs you will use, the more milk you will need.  It also depends on how creamy you like your eggs.  I left the milk out for the burritos, because the eggs naturally moisten up when frozen in the burritos.  Stir well, making sure that each yolk is scrambled.

 Pour into a large baking pan.  Do not fill more than 2/3 full.  The more eggs you want in there, the bigger the pan needs to be.   Sprinkle with salt and pepper.

Bake at 350 degrees until eggs are cooked through. Again, depending on the size of the pan.  Plan on about an hour for a good sized load. 

Stir every 10-15 minutes. To help them scramble.  When finished, remove from the oven and add your favorite add-ins if desired, cheese, bacon, sausage etc.

Tip: if you are lazy and forgetful like me... you can just leave them in the pan without stirring.  I think I stirred them once about half way through... Bake it like you would a breakfast casserole, and then just pull it out and dump it into a huge bowl.  Then you can just chop it up with the spatula to scramble them.  I found two slight problems with this method... You don't get the nice even color that scrambled eggs have, because you haven't stirred them frequently. The yolks and whites won't combine as well.  But it still tastes the same, so no big deal to me! PLUS, because I didn't have to stir it, I could fill the pan fuller without worrying about over spillage.

Also, I used an aluminum pan and found that the bottom part took on a slight greenish/silver color in some areas. Probably just a few extra minerals in it. he he he. That's why people push STAINLESS steel so much I guess. :) 
This is what it looks like about half way through.  Not so appetizing right now but I comes out much better in the end. 

No comments: