Friday, December 2, 2011

Mama Mia’s Minestrone Soup

I was first exposed to Minestrone soup when I tried it on a whim at Olive Garden a couple of years ago. I really enjoyed it. I came across this recipe about a year ago and fell in love with it!  The bacon really adds a delicious flavor. 

I adapted this recipe from Real Mom Kitchen.  I just use a good Italian seasoning instead of the different amounts of each herb. Make sure that it contains thyme, oregano and basil in it.  I got a good one from Costco.

Mama Mia’s Minestrone Soup


1/2 lb bacon, cooked and crumbled
1 large onion, chopped
1 cup celery chopped

Saute the onion and celery in bacon grease until tender.

2 cans Petite Diced Tomatoes
2 cans beef broth
2 small cans tomato juice
1 can northern white beans, drained and rinsed
1 can green beans, UNDRAINED
3 carrots, cut into chunks
2 cups shredded cabbage (not the pre-cut coleslaw mix, it’s too stringy when cooked)
2 cups of water
2 tsp Italian seasoning (make it a good one)

Bring the above ingredients to a boil, then reduce to simmer.  Simmer until vegetables are tender.  Then add:

1 cup of macaroni (rotini or shells work well)
Cook until macaroni is tender.  Top each bowl with Parmesan cheese to serve.

No comments: