Monday, February 6, 2012

Ham and Asparagus

I forgot to post this recipe for those who are involved with our produce co-op.  Each time we purchase our baskets full of fruits and veggies, I try to get one thing that is a little out of the ordinary for people to try.  Then I will post a recipe using that item.  This past week we got asparagus. Here is an awesome recipe that my mom used to make for us all the time.  I've always loved asparagus because of this dish.  My husband who is not a fan of asparagus, ate 2nds!!!  My kids all loved it too!

Ham and Asparagus

1 bunch Asparagus
6-10 slices of ham (lunch meat)
1 small can Cream of Asparagus (Campbell's is the only one that carries this that I know of)
1/2 soup can of water

Steam asparagus for 8-10 minutes to soften it a little. After steaming, wrap 3 stalks of asparagus in 1-2 pieces of ham.  (I like to use two and over lap them a bit so It covers most of the stalk) Place in a 9x13 baking dish.  Keep doing this until all stalks are wrapped and laying in the dish.  In a small bowl combine soup and water.  Pour over the top.  (it doesn't need to be covered in it.) Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes, or until cooked to desired tenderness.

No comments: