Sunday, January 23, 2011

Reuben Sandwich

The Reuben is one of my husbands favorite sandwiches. We have this running joke, that instead of going to a restaurant to satisfy our usual cravings, we will just try to create a similar flavor/recipe and skip out on the restaurant prices. Especially when I am pregnant and crave the same things over and over... my dear husband will master the dish so that he can make it for me day or night.  This sandwhich is just such a recipe. I love when he says my food is "better than the restaurants!" It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

 I have never been a fan of sauerkraut so I usually make this as a kit.for his lunch at work. Let me tell ya, this one makes all the other guys on the job jealous! I put all of the ingredients in separate bags or containers so he can make it nice and fresh.

You can use the sliced corned beef from the deli, but its so much better with the shredded corned beef. I like to buy a few corned beef roasts and "can" them or you can freeze it already cooked, for faster preparation.  I like to "can" them in pint jars which ends up making enough for my husband to take to work. Stay tuned for "how to's" on canning meats. I'll give you all the details in future posts.

You'll want to remember to drain the sauerkraut so it doesnt get the bread too soggy. Also these ingredient ratios are how my hubby likes them, but really you can add or subtract however you want. You can also toast the bread or eat it plain.

Reuben Sandwich
2 slices of rye bread ( he likes a dark rye or marbled rye)
1 cup cooked and shredded corned beef
2 tablespoons of 1000 island dressing
about 1/2 cup sauerkraut
2 slices of swiss cheese

To toast the bread:  spread the outside of each slice with butter and grill on a skillet until golden brown.  Spread the inside of each slice with dressing and then add corned beef, sauerkraut and cheese. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Fonua Family said...

this looks heavenly!! I cannot wait to try it!