Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Sara's Chili

It's day one of the biggest loser contest that my husband and friends will be doing.  I wanted to post a nice protein packed dish for ya today. 

 My dear vegan friend Sara, shared this recipe with me a few years ago.  I created my own version of it that I posted a while back. Worlds Best Chili .  Her recipe is much healthier.  We figured out that this dish has about 375 calories per serving.(1 1/2 cups) It's a filling dish and is a great way to get loads of protein without eating all of the calories that red meat has to offer.  This dish would even be healthier if you soaked your own beans and didn't used the canned ones.  This is a quick and easy version for ya though. 



Sara's Chili

2 Cans Pinto Beans
2 Cans Diced Tomatoes
1 Can Black Beans
1 Can Dark Red Kidney Beans
1 Can Light Red Kidney Beans
1 Can Red Beans
1 Can Chili Beans
Crushed Red Pepper to taste (I did about 1/4 tsp)
Onion Powder to taste (I used 1 tsp)

Pour all ingredients into a crock pot. Do not drain. Cook 8-10 hours on low or 4-6 hours on high.

Serve with your favorite toppings

Make a double batch and freeze it for a rainy day!!