Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Squash Casserole

The first time I tried this, My sister-in-law made it for me. We were up spending time with her and my brother just after they got married.  I remember thinking, boy my brother is lucky, this girl can really cook! (of course that's not her only strong point. She is amazing all around) It was so good! This is one of those comfort foods that really makes your mouth water just thinking about it.  My sweet mother made it for me again this week, when I was sick.  Thanks mom!

It's also a great way to use up that summer squash.  I'll have to come up with some serious zucchini/squash recipes for ya. We will be having tons of it come off real soon. 

I apologize for the picture.  I'll be getting a real camera this weekend!!!

Squash Casserole

6 yellow or zucchini squash (I do 3 of each)
1/3 c. margarine
1/2 c. sour cream
1 med. onion chopped
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 pkg. seasoned dressing (large bread crumbs)

Slice squash and chop onion; steam until tender. Mix in soup and sour cream. Pour melted butter over dressing and mix.  Put ½ of dressing in bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish. Pour in mixture and top with rest of dressing. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes.

Tip:  This makes a great freezer meal.  Double the batch and save some for later!

1 comment:

Brenda Sanders (Hayley's Mom) said...

You can also add some cubed cooked chicken. That one I took to Jennie had the chicken in it. It makes more of a complete meal although we like it just as well without.