Monday, March 28, 2011

Buttermilk Syrup

Back when I was a teenager, we had pancakes for breakfast at Girls Camp. They were the lumpiest things I have ever tasted.  I hated pancakes ever since... until I had them with this syrup!  My sister-in-law made us breakfast for dinner one time and made this syrup.  I decided to give it a try. It was heavenly!  This is still the only way I will eat pancakes to be honest.  Give it a try. It is so delish!!!  I like mine really runny. If you like thick syrup, just boil it for about 5 minutes. This recipe is so quick and easy.  Also, I don't ever buy buttermilk... I just make my own sour milk. It works wonderfully  The recipe is below.
Buttermilk Syrup

1 cube butter (melt)
3/4 c sugar
1/2 c. buttermilk ( I make my own)
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp Baking soda

Melt butter and add sugar and buttermilk.  Bring to a boil.  (If you like it runny, remove from heat just after bringing to a boil. If you like it thick, Boil 5 min.) remove from heat, add vanilla and baking soda. Stir well. 
 
Tip: The syrup will foam up to double in size, when you add the vanilla and baking soda, so make sure that you are using a bigger pot.

Homemade Buttermilk

1/2 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 cup milk

mix both ingredients and allow to sit for about 5 minutes.

No comments: