Thursday, July 14, 2011

Basic Crock Pot Oatmeal

If I can ever get ahead on a meal, I take the chance!  Life with 4 1/2 children can get a little demanding.  And being pregnant, you never know what to expect.  I love when I can make breakfast the night before and have it nice and ready for me when I wake up in the morning!

This is a great and easy meal that takes literally 5 min. or less to prep.  We all have different tastes in oatmeal.  Some like cinnamon, others, just brown sugar. So I do this basic one and add ingredients later. You can add cream, fruit, nuts etc right before you eat it if that's what you like.  This basic recipe can stretch in so many different directions! I like mine sticky with brown sugar.

The main thing to remember, is that you can't use any basic quick oats. This only works with steel cut oats.  They are a slow cooking oat and work really nicely.  I found some at the "organic/health" section at my local grocery store.

Basic Crock Pot Oatmeal

2 Cups Steel Cut Oats
4 Cups Water

Combine both ingredients into a crock pot. Set it on low for about 8 hours. (I've kept it on low for up to 12)

No comments: