Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Better Than Sweet Rolls

I volunteered to make some bread for our Relief Society activity night this month.  I decided to experiment a little and make some yummy sweet rolls.  Not the best time to experiment, but I'm so excited that it was a huge success!

When we lived in Provo, my all time favorite place to go was good ol' Chuckarama.  Seriously, what kind of name is that?  We used to call it "Up-Chuckarama". Really though, the food was great. We just liked to call it that.  You know like "Snot in the Box" or "Tomatobees" (that one is actually 2 different restaurants. My kids get them both mixed up). Anyway... you didn't come here to read about my random quirks. Back to Chuckarama.  I absolutely loved their rolls.  And their honey butter... HEAVEN!!!

Not to toot my own horn (Toot Toot). All I could say when I first tried these rolls was "Eat your heart out Chuckarama!" They we SO good!!!  I took my Cinnamon Rolls recipe and played with it a little.  Try them, you'll love em!



Better Than Sweet Rolls 

2 tbsp, saf instant yeast. 
2 1/2 C. Warm Water
1/2 C. Canola oil
2 eggs
1 C sugar
1/4 c. milk
1 tsp Salt
9 c. flour approx

Mix 4 cups flour, salt, sugar, and yeast.  Add Water, oil, milk and eggs.  Mix thoroughly and add flour just until it pulls away from the sides of the mixer.  Knead/Mix on Medium speed for 6-8 minutes. Lightly grease a large bowl.  Move dough to the bowl. Cover and let rise until doubled, then punch down dough.

Roll into balls and place next to each other on a cookie sheet. Bake at 350 for about 15 minutes or until golden brown. Makes about 2-3 dozen

Tip:  You may need more or less flour depending on humidity and other factors.  You'll want the dough to be a sticky as possible but still able to handle.  I coat my hands with a little flour, so that I can handle it easier. The less you add, the lighter the rolls will be..

No comments: