Thursday, January 5, 2012

Spinach Apple Salad

Have you ever seen an almost two year old scarf down spinach?  No lie, we ate this for dinner tonight... My little one ate two adult sized helpings of it.  She wanted this salad over the Pizza that we had.  I got this recipe from my aunt a couple of weeks ago.  I've made it at least 3 times a week since I got it.  I don't know what it is about the dressing, but its addictive. 

One confession... I don't spend the time to fry up the bacon. I just buy the already cooked and chopped stuff for this salad. It makes it quick and easy to throw together. 

If you use the honey roasted slivered almonds, it gives it an even better flavor!  I also make a double batch of the dressing and keep it in the fridge for a week or two. Depending on the color of your purple onion, some dressings will be really pink and others will be more white. 

Spinach Apple Salad 

1 (10-oz) bag fresh baby spinach
1 med. Granny Smith apple, cored, and diced
1/2 lb. crumbled, fried bacon
3/4 C toasted, slivered almonds

Dressing:
1/4 C granulated sugar
1/3 C oil
1/4 tsp. salt
3T. cider vinegar
1/8 small red onion

Toss salad ingredients together. For dressing, place ingredients in blender. Blend until onion is very fine and mixture is well blended. Dress salad and serve immediately. Garnish with apple slices.

Not sure how to measure 1/8 of an onion... easiest way... cut it in half, then that half in half, then that half in half. There you have it.

No comments: