Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Mommy's Kitchen Creations Gone Wrong!

I've decided to add a new subject to my blog.  After a kitchen accident today, I'm decided, hey why not add the disasters/mess ups to this blog. Add a little entertainment.  You know like that cake blog that shows the mess ups.  Anyway, I've burnt so many things lately, forgotten ingredients etc.  Any of you that have been pregnant, and especially pregnant with other children at home... know how it is.  Walking into walls, forgetting names, dates etc, burning dinner, not turning the oven on... It's all part of the package.  Gotta love it!

So today I decided to make some Strawberry Fruit Leather, with the strawberries I got at the farmers market yesterday.  3 lbs for a dollar baby! Anyway, so I blended the fruit just slightly and then boiled it down. I took it off the stove and put it back in the blender to break it down all the way. I couldn't find the lid to the blender so I just decided to hold a bowl over it.  Yeah, since is was partly liquid already, and it was mostly full, when I turned it on, it pretty much exploded and the bowl and I didn't have a chance.  Scalding hot strawberries flew out of the blender and ALL over my kitchen.  I managed to turn off the blender, adding more scalding hot fruit to my body.  Then it hit hard. I'm burning!  I screamed in pain and ran to the shower to wash it off as soon as possible. 

Long story short, most of my right arm has 1st and 2nd degree burns all over it.  My face as well and part of my chest and left arm.  Oh the joys!  After much coaxing, I went to the urgent care. They bandaged me all up and gave me some ointment as well as info on treating it.  

The kitchen is the best part!  Ha ha, strawberry syrup EVERYWHERE! I am teaching a class tomorrow night and at the moment have splattered strawberries ALL over the counters, cabinets, floor and wall.  That's not including the stove.  A few minutes before this all happened, the pot boiled over a ton!  It built up all around the pot and started dripping down the front of the stove. That's a whole other disaster in and of it's self :)
Here's a little bit of it

So the moral of the story is, let your fruit cool before blending it up!!!  (I tried blending it before I boiled it and it just didn't break down as much.)  The good news is... The fruit leather is beautiful and tasty!!!

If you look real close you can see the burns on my right cheek.  It's also blistering. I guess make-up is out of the question for a while! Like I wear it very often anyway.

6 comments:

Whitney said...

Oh no! Jennie I'm so sorry to hear that. I hope it heals soon. I'm curious what farmers market you went to and when it is open becuase 3 lbs for a dollar sounds awesome and I want to make some freezer jam. Let me know!

Megan said...

Aw man, Jennie! That's awful! I wish I was there to come clean up the berries for you. :( But I'm glad you can laugh about it. I'd probably just whine. Get better, love you!

Carrie and Tyson said...

Oh, no! It's okay to cancel a class. You need to get yourself and your kitchen better!

Mindy said...

Yikes!! Let me know if you need help with your kids. Karalee would be SO excited to have them come over and play.

Trina said...

Oh no! That sounds awful! Especially when you have a cute little one year old that probably love to be held by and snuggle with mommy! Hope you get feeling better soon! No fun!

Brianne said...

I did that with soup once! It was supposed to be a creamy rice soup. Put it in the blender hot and it exploded! I was sure a lot luckier than you though! I'm so sorry about all of your burns! Get well soon!