Thursday, June 2, 2011

The Perfect Hard Boiled Egg

My desire for this blog, is to help others feel more confident in the kitchen.  I have been cooking all my life but really found my confidence in following other food blogs and trying new things. I decided that I wanted to help others the way that it helped me.  I have talked to many people who don't know much about the basics in the kitchen. Cooking is not one of those things that you were born knowing.  We all have to start at the beginning. My goal is to post even the little things that make a big difference in the kitchen. A confident chef is a happy chef!

I don't pretend to know everything about cooking or baking. I just want to share what I have learned.  When in doubt. Google it!!! That is how I have found a lot of my information.  Like how to boil the perfect egg.  My husband and I were talking about how sometimes our eggs peel really nicely and other times they are a pain to peel. So we looked it up.  The number one key to boiling the perfect hard boiled egg is using eggs that are at least 5 days old.  They peel perfectly and easily every time. I wanted to pass on what I learned with you.  I got the info for this at Simply recipes.  I usually just boil them for 10 minutes instead to the way that they do it. They still turn out great.



Place desired amount of eggs (single layer) into a pot. Add cold water, enough to cover the eggs by at least 1-2 inches. Make sure that they are at least 5 days old.  Farm fresh eggs won't peel very well. Add about 1/2 tsp to your water. This will help them peel easier too. Bring water to a boil. Boil 10 minutes. Remove from the heat. (they can sit in the hot water for a bit.)Run under cold water to cool and refrigerate until ready to eat.

No comments: