Friday, February 18, 2011

JJ's Spaghetti Sauce

We love spaghetti in our house. We probably have it at least once a week. I decided to make my own sauce and actually write it down as I go this time.  I've made some good ones in the past but can never remember what I did.  This one is really good! I think I would do less Italian seasoning next time. It's a little strong.  Although it would make a great pizza sauce that way. The key to making your own sauce is to let it simmer for a good long while, then taste it...I didn't really do that today so I added too much. The flavors hadn't married together quite yet.  You can always add more later and then simmer it a little more. 

We will start our garden this weekend, then I'll make this with fresh ingredients but today I used everything from food storage.  I had a huge can of tomato sauce from Costco that I used. I also bought a big bag of bell peppers from Costco, chopped them up into one cup portions and froze them a few months ago. So I used one of those bags.  I love having veggies on hand in the freezer for soups and things. All of the herbs, I had in the cupboard.  And the garlic, I pulled from the pre-pressed garlic in the jar. I know fresh is so much better, but lets be honest, sometimes its not always practical. Also, the nice thing about this recipe, is you have enough to put in the freezer for another meal later.  As a mom of 4 I rely on freezer meals quite often. I also love using whole wheat pasta. Costco sales it in a bulk pack. My kids love it!

One quick tip:  Cover the pot when you are boiling the sauce! This stuff flies everywhere and burns like crazy when it lands on you!

JJ's Spaghetti Sauce



1 tbsp Olive oil
2 cloves garlic
1 cup chopped red bell pepper (Optional)

1 large (#10) can of tomato sauce (6 lb 10 oz can)
3 Tbsp Italian Seasoning (next time I would use 2-2 1/2 Tbsp)
1 tsp onion powder
2 cans petite diced tomatoes (drained)
1/2 tsp basil (dried)
1 tsp parsley (dried)
1/2 tsp Marjoram
5 tbsp sugar (about 1/3 cup)
Salt to taste


In a large stock pot, saute oil, garlic and bell pepper for about 5 minutes, then combine all other ingredients. Simmer for 20-30 Minutes.

No comments: