Friday, February 25, 2011

Macaroni Salad

Here is another pasta salad that I love!  It isn't the prettiest salad to photograph but it sure is tasty. My friend gave me this recipe about 10 years ago and I have enjoyed making it many times since,  You can use any type of pasta for this dish. I usually like to use Ditalini but the store was out of it, so I used small shells this time.


Macaroni Salad


16 oz of cooked pasta
1/2 bell pepper chopped
1/2 onion (I usually just use a couple dashes of onion powder)
1/2 can olives chopped  ( I use the whole can)
3-4 large pickles chopped
1-1 1/2 C. diced cheddar cheese (I like sharp in this one)
6 hard boiled eggs, diced
salt and pepper to taste
dash of garlic salt
1-2 C Mayonnaise
1/2 C. Sour Cream
2-3 Tbsp pickle juice

Boil pasta according to package directions. Drain and rinse with cold water to cool.  Then add next 6 ingredients.

Dressing- In a separate bowl, combine mayonnaise, sour cream, pickle juice, salts and pepper.   Mix together and add to salad. Refrigerate for several hours before serving. You may need to add more mayonnaise and salt prior to serving.

Tip: Make sure to cool the pasta before adding the cheese. It will melt it if you don't.

No comments: